Written by: Janie W.
The holiday season is upon us! As you look for ways to celebrate, here are a few creative ideas to gather with your loved ones and make an impact:
1) MEAL/DESSERT FOR FIRST RESPONDERS
Gather your family and friends and make your favorite holiday dish or dessert and take it to your local fire station or police station. The holiday season can be a busy time for first responders and sharing treats can help spread cheer. Share some of your favorites by tagging us @sosresponds
2) ACTS OF KINDNESS ADVENT CALENDAR
Create an Advent Calendar where each week you complete an Act of Kindness. Use the week to help you prepare and have fun doing it together. Download our template or use these ideas to get you started:
- Winter Apparel Drive
- Organize a drive to collect jackets, gloves, scarfs, and socks for local organizations who are helping our homeless community.
- Service Thank You’s
- Make Thank You Cards and attach a candy to it. Hand them out to your delivery drivers, grocery clerks, sanitation crew, and any others helping serve you.
- Help a Neighbor
- Help a neighbor or friend with raking leaves, mowing their lawn or sweeping their walkway
- Book Donation
- Gather your gently used books and donate them to local children’s hospitals, nursing homes or after school programs.
3) GIVING TUESDAY
Tuesday, November 30, 2021, is a national day to give back. Thanks to a generous donor, your #GivingTuesday gift will be matched dollar for dollar! Organize a fundraiser to donate to SOS and have it matched. This is a fun way to give back this holiday season and double the impact of your giving!
4) STOCK THE SHELVES
The holiday season wouldn’t be complete without meals with friends and family! Every time you go to the grocery store, add an extra item to your cart for a donation. At the end of the month, drop them off at a local food pantry.
5) SOS VIRTUAL GIVING TREE
Give a gift to an at-risk child through our Virtual Giving Tree! All the toys purchased will go directly to help families in need. This is a great way to make a direct impact on at-risk children. Click here for the full list.
6) SEEK AND FIND HOLIDAY NEIGHBORHOOD SCAVENGER HUNT
Community is a vital component in securing the at-risk children around you. Create an outdoor scavenger hunt and invite your neighbors to join. This builds community while the children see how many “treasures” they can find. Looking for a Thanksgiving or Christmas themed template? We have some options you can download to start the fun!
7) CARDS FOR FOSTER CARE KIDS
Make fun, festive encouraging cards for sweet kiddos in foster care. Not knowing what family or home you are going to land in can be scary. You can help ease their first night fears with this fun surprise. Drop them off at any local foster care agency or resource center so they can add them to their “First Night Bags”.
What other fun ways do you give back during the holiday season?